Tempura Seitan Vegetable Kebab with Lemon Shoyu Dip
Everyone loves these tempura seitan kababs!
Take the time to set everything up in an organised way and this is an easy recipe to get right.
You can also try roasted red pepper sauceinstead of the lemon shoyu dip sauce.
Seitan Kebab Ingredients:
- 400 grams Seitan cut in bite size cubes - 2-3cm cubes
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper cut in bite size squares (3cm)
- 1 onion in eighths keep them intact by paying attention to the root
- 4 medium size broccoli or cauliflower flowerets
- 8 thin diagonals of carrot
- Oil for deep frying -organic deoderized sunflower oil works best
- Wooden skewers
Seitan Kebab Instructions:
Simply alternate vegetables w/ Seitan on sate' sticks (wooden skewers) in a creative way. keep the vegetables close together, and if the sticks are too long to fit in your deep fry pot break them down to an appropriate size.
Tempura Batter Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ cup spelt flour or unbleached white flour
- ½ cup corn starch or Arrowroot powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup pilsner beer
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Cold water
Tempura Batter Instructions:
- Combine the first three ingredients and then set aside 1/4 cup for dusting the vegetables.
- Now add the beer and then enough cold water to make a thin pancake batter (Similar to crepe batter consistency).
Don't stir too much, a few lumps are good!
Batter must not be too thin or it won't stick, but don't worry you can always add some more flour or water later.
- Now refigerate at least 20 minutes.
Dust the kebabs in remaining flour mixture and shake off the excess. Every surface should be coated this way, the batter will stick and your tempura will be delicious!
- Heat oil in a very heavy pan ideally cast iron or enamel coated iron (like Le Creuset cookware).
Heat enough oil that the skewers will be easily covered, about 1 litre, depending on the size of your pot.
- Test the oil: drop a little batter in and if it hits bottom and comes straight up the oil is ready!
- Dip the skewers in the batter, let excess run off and place several at a time in the oil.
- Fry until golden brown remove and drain on paper towels or brown paper.
Dip Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup rice syrup
- 1/4 cup shoyu
- 6 drops essential oil of lemon or zest of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Pinch of ceyanne powder (optional)
Just wisk ingredients together, if you used lemon zest it will be better to use a blender.
It is also good to serve a few TBLS of finely grated fresh diakon radish per person with the tempura - it really helps to break down the fat and digest the oil.