Orange Cranberry Sauce
Goes with everything and anything gravy is good with!
The onions add sweetness and the dried Shiitake mushrooms make this gravy very tasty - you won't miss the drippings at all!
Nice with Seitan or try it with the baked pumpkin stuffed with wild rice and chestnut stuffing...
- 5-6 large dried Shiitake Mushrooms – soaked till soft at least 1 hour, then remove the stem and cut the mushrooms in a small dice
- 5cm piece Kombu – soaked with the mushrooms
- 5 med. Onions – diced finely
- ½ cup whole Spelt flour
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- white wine
- 2 Bay leaves
- sea salt
- fresh black pepper
- Heat a thick bottomed sauce pan, add 1 Tbls Olive oil and sauté the onions for about 10 min. with a pinch of sea salt until really soft and sweet smelling.
- Remove the onions to a dish and put the pan back on the fire add ¼ cup olive oil and the spelt flour.
- Using a flat edged wooden spoon press the flour into the oil and gently fry the flour on a med. Flame.
- Be careful not to burn the flour. When the flour is lightly browned add some white wine, about ½ to 1 cup.
- Using a whisk to combine the ingredients add the soaking water plus enough water to achieve desired consistency.
- Add the water bit by bit whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
- Now add the Bay leaves, the mushrooms, onions, another pinch of sea salt and let the gravy simmer on low flame for about 15-20 min.
- Finish the seasoning with shoyu and a few turns of fresh black pepper.
- Serve hot!