Orange Cranberry Sauce
This is a classic - but if you have never tried home-made cranberry sauce you are really in for a treat!
This is very easy to make - why do so many people buy pre-made?!
- 250 grams fresh organic cranberries – washed and picked over for any rotten ones
- ½ litre apple juice
- 1 Tbls kuzu root starch
- ½ packet agar agar powder or 1 Tbls agar agar flakes
- zest of ½ orange
- flesh of 1 orange cut into pieces – remove all white parts
- maple syrup – about ¼ cup
- sea salt
- 3 drops essential oil of orange (optional, only use if you have a high quality organic essential oil, see where can I buy these ingredients?)
- Stir together the apple juice with the agar agar and sea salt and bring to boil.
- When the juice boils add the cranberries and turn down to simmer for 10 min. or if using agar agar flakes maybe slightly longer to make sure they are dissolved.
- Dissolve the kuzu in a small amount of cold water and stir it into the sauce.
- Now add the oranges, orange zest and enough maple syrup to achieve a good balance of sweet and sour.
- Remove from heat and stir in the essential oil and put sauce in serving dish to cool. Serve room temperature.