Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Blackcurrant Sauce
Everyone seems to love this unusual cake!
It is the crunchiness of the poppy seeds and the freshness of the lemon zest that give it it's character. Enjoy!
- 31/2 cups 85% spelt flour
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds
- 1 Tbls baking powder
- 1 small jar Amazake (300 ml)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup deoderized sunflower oil
- 1 cup rice syrup
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder or extract zest of 2 lemons
- 4 drops lemon essential oil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180c or 350
- Oil and flour a 24cm cake pan (91/2 inch)
- Wisk together dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another.
- Now with a rubber spatula mix the dry into the wet, mix briefly, and get the cake in the oven as quickly as possible!
Remember that once the wet and dry are mixed the baking powder is activated and to get the best cake, with a good rise you must get it in the oven quickly!
Bake time is about 30 min. check with a wooden skewer, when the skewer comes out clean the cake is ready.
Black current sauce:
- 1/3 cup black current jam
- 1 cup water
- pinch sea salt
- kuzu root starch to thicken
- Wisk together the water, jam and sea salt and bring to a boil on med. flame.
- Mix 1/2 to 1 Tbls kuzu with a little cold water and add, while stirring, till you have a nice saucy consistency.
Serve warm or cool.
Serve with thinly sliced lemon for decoration.