Creamy Leek Soup with Garlic Croutons and Celery Leaves
Another easy creamy but light soup! I love this soup because it goes well with so many other dishes.
The crunchy croutons add flavour and a nice contrast to the creamy soup.
- 4 medium size leeks, sliced in half lengthwise and cut in 2cm diagonals
- 1/2 cup rice flakes
- 1/4 cup soy cuisine (soy cream) optional
- 3 cm piece of kombu
- 1 medium dried shiitake
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TBLS Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Umeboshi vinegar
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Small bunch of celery leaves - washed, dried and finely chopped
- Croutons: see crouton recipe
- Soak the kombu and shiitake in 1 cup of water until shiitake is soft then remove stem and dice the mushroom in a small dice.
- Heat a medium size soup pan, add the Olive oil and saute the leeks and bay leave with a pinch of sea salt for a few min.
- Add the shiitake, kombu and soaking water plus another 3 cups of water - bring to a boil on a medium flame.
- Add 1/2 tsp sea salt and the rice flakes, cover and turn down to simmer for 10 min.
- When leeks are tender remove the kombu and bay leaves and use an immersion blender to blend the soup.
- Return to very low flame and stir in the soy cream, and season to taste with umeboshi vinegar and fresh black pepper.
- Serve and garnish with celery leaves and croutons.