Carrot Walnut Cake
Everyone seems to love this unusual cake!
It is the crunchiness of the poppy seeds and the freshness of the lemon zest that give it it's character. Enjoy!
- 1 cups raisins
- 1 cups lightly roasted walnuts
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 drops essential oil of nutmeg(optional)
- 1 Tbls baking powder
- 1 Tbls apple cider vinegar
- 1 cups chilled corn oil or deoderised sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup rice syrup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup soy milk
- 4 cups grated carrots
A moist satisfying cake that I have been making for years, it is always a winner! And when I don't know what cake to make I make this carrot cake...
Try a variation like leaving out the cinnamon and vanilla and add a couple teaspoons of fresh ginger juice or you can replace the carrots with grated sweet winter squash, now that is yum!
- Reserve the walnuts and raisins until the wet and dry are mixed together.
- Mix all dry ingredients together well, and then add the liquids.
- Mix briefly but well. Now add the nuts and raisins.
- Spread into a large square, oiled baking form, mixture should not be more than 3-4cm thick.
- Bake at 1800c or 350f for about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 min. then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
Optional suggestion for frosting:
Mixture of tofu, tahini, rice syrup, vanilla extract, lemon zest, a few drops of lemon essential oil and lemon juice.