Baked Pumpkin Stuffed with Wild Rice Chestnut Stuffing
This is a festive recipe either as the centre piece of a holiday meal or as a hearty winter dinner treat.
Cook the pumpkin (winter squash) until it is sweet and tender and you wont be disappointed!
- 1 Pumpkin (sweet winter squash) with good colour and a balanced shape.
- About 500 grams of whole wheat sour dough bread, sliced and cut in 1.5cm cubes cut and leave them out over night to dry out slightly.
- 1/2 cup wild rice, washed and simmered for 30 min.
- 3/4 cup currants
- 3 stalks celery (include any leaves)
- ½ cup Parsley – washed, dried and finely chopped
- 3 onions finely diced and sautéed with 1 Tbls Olive oil with a pinch of sea salt for about 5 min.
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- 2 cups ready to eat chestnuts (either boiled chestnuts that come in a jar or soaked and cooked dried chestnuts)
- Organic Vegetable bullion powder or make a fresh vegetable stock
- 5 cm piece of kombu – soaked (we are only using the soaking water from the kombu, you may use the kombu for another dish)
- 2-3 dried donko shiitake mushrooms - soaked together with the kombu. Once soft, remove the stems and cut shiitake in small dice
- Fresh ground black pepper
Prepare the Pumpkin:
- Carefully, with a pointed knife, cut into the pumpkin and remove the top as if you were going to make a Halloween jack-o-lantern.
- With a soup spoon remove all the seeds completely from the inside of the pumpkin and also from the top. Really scrape it smooth!
Prepare the Stuffing:
- In a large mixing bowl combine the bread, wild rice, currents, celery, parsley, sautéed onions, chestnuts, shiitake and soaking water, several turns of fresh pepper,
- Add 1-2 Tbls Olive oil drizzled over the mixture.
- Season with a little shoyu but mostly with some vegetable bullion combined with enough water to moisten the mixture, which should be not too wet and not too dry.
- Mix the ingredients.
- Pack the pumpkin with the stuffing and put the top on.
- Rub the pumpkin with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180c for about 1 hour or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting, cut the pumpkin like a pie so that each piece is a crescent of pumpkin filled with stuffing.